This homemade apple pie filling is delicious just on its own but why not throw it into a cupcake right? It is super easy apple pie recipe and only requires 4 ingredients. Some butter, brown sugar, apples, and a little salt to round it out. All you need to do is saute this on your stove-top for a couple minutes until the apples are soft. You could even make this filling a day or two ahead of time and simply refrigerate and save yourself some time! Use your favorite homemade pie crust or keep it simple and buy a pre-made crust. We are using ours in some special cupcakes, so stay tuned! This is the first video of three to prepare for making my Salted Caramel Apple Cupcakes. Be sure to look out for the other two videos on making the Salted Caramel Sauce and then assembling these amazing cupcakes!
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 apples peeled, cored, and diced into 1/4-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Using a 10-inch skillet melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium high heat.
- Add chopped apples, cook about 5 minutes stirring occasionally until softened.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar, cinnamon and salt.
- Cook for an additional five minutes until tender.
- Let cool completely. Store in an airtight container until ready to use.
NOTE: This amount is used for my Salted Caramel Apple Cupcake recipe. If you are making an apple pie, slice your apples into 1” cubes and increase all the ingredients x4.