These caramel apple cupcakes are TO DIE FOR. It’s an apple pie spiced cupcakes with cinnamon apple filling and topped with a salted caramel buttercream frosting. And more salted caramel drizzled over to send them completely over the edge. They say an apple a day keeps the doctor away. Not sure it counts when they are stuffed into a cupcake and topped with a homemade salted caramel frosting, but worth a shot right?
For the cupcakes
- 1-1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons apple pie spice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup yogurt I used plain greek non fat
For the Salted Caramel Buttercream
- 2-1/2 sticks butter softened to room temperature
- 2-1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 Tablespoons salted caramel sauce
- 2 Tablespoons heavy cream
For the Salted Caramel Sauce
Recipe is in video description:https://youtu.be/cz_FHPP1HN4
For the Apple Pie Filling
Recipe is in video description:https://youtu.be/wA7vd58icKk
For the cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a cupcake pan with liners.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, apple pie spice, cinnamon, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- In a stand mixer, beat together butter and sugar on medium high until light and fluffy about 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce speed to low add egg and egg white. Beat in vanilla.
- Combine the milk and yogurt in a small bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Add in the flour mixture 3 additions, alternating with milk beating until just combined; scrape down sides of bowl as needed. Increase speed to medium high heat and beat just until no flour remains about 30 seconds. Do not overbeat.
- Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups filling each about 3/4 full. Bake until lightly golden on top and toothpick inserted into center of cupcake comes out clean about 18 to 20 minutes. Transfer pan to a wire rack and let cool for 5 minutes. Transfer cupcakes to rack and let cool completely.
For the frosting
- In a stand mixer, or medium bowl with a hand mixer cream butter and powdered sugar together.
- Add in vanilla, heavy cream, salted caramel. Cream on medium-high speed for 8 minutes until light and fluffy.
To assemble cupcakes
- Core the center of the cupcakes by using a knife. Cut at an angle to remove the center.
- Fill each cupcake with about a tablespoon of the apple filling.
- Pipe buttercream frosting on top.
- Drizzle salted caramel sauce over each cupcake.