If it works, Instant Pot Chocolate Lava Cake has a gooey chocolate center (mine didn’t) and a hint of coffee. With minimal ingredients and short preparation time, this dessert is super quick and easy to make. There’s no need to turn on your oven to get a delicious and decadent dessert when you have an Instant Pot!
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter cut into pieces
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate chopped
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Grease the bottom and sides of four 6 ounce ramekins. Coat each with sugar.
- Melt the chocolate and butter in a microwave-safe bowl, microwave butter and chocolate on medium heat for about 1 minute. Stir and repeat heating at 15-second intervals, until the chocolate is melted and smooth but a few small pieces of chocolate still remain. Keep stirring to allow the chocolate to completely melt in the residual heat.
- Stir in powdered sugar.
- Whisk in eggs, yolks, coffee and vanilla.
- Stir in flour and salt.
- Divide batter among the ramekins.
- Pour 2 cups water into the Instant Pot’s main compartment (inner pot) and place trivet in water.
- Place 3 ramekins on the trivet and place 1 more on top of them, in the middle (staggered). Close the Instant Pot. Make sure the steam release handle is in the ‘Sealing’ position.
- Cook on ‘Manual’ (or ‘Pressure Cook’) for 4 to 7 minutes.*
- Do a Quick Release of steam and open the Instant Pot.
- Use the trivet to remove the ramekins. Gently dab off any condensation from the surface of the cake.
- Dust the Instant Pot chocolate lava cakes with powdered sugar.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
* The pressure cook time for this recipe can vary based on model of Instant Pot. If you’re doing this for the first time, you might want to try 4 minutes and if the lava cakes are under cooked, pressure cook them for another 1 to 2 minutes. I tried at 7 minutes and 5 minutes and both times were slightly too long. This recipe is all about finding the right time for your situation (elevation, Instant Pot size, etc).