Impress your friends and family this 4th of July with this simple American Flag Sugar Cookie Cake. This is a simple sugar cookie recipe topped with your frosting of choice, blueberries and strawberries. You could even call it a fruit pizza!
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 12 tbsp butter softened
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup full fat sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- Strawberries (sliced into quarters vertically)
- Cream the sugar and butter together with an electric hand mixer or stand mixer until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the eggs, sour cream and vanilla to butter and mix well to combine.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix well.
- Transfer dough to an airtight container and place in refrigerator for at least 1 hour. Note that this dough will be soft and sticky.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Remove cookie dough from refrigerator and spread into a 12” x 17“ cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. If dough is still sticky, dust your hands with flour.
- Bake the cookie for 15-20 minutes, or until they puff up and are starting to just slightly brown around edges.
- Remove from baking sheet and slide onto cooling rack to cool completely.
- Whip heavy cream with a electric hand mixer until soft peaks form.
- Add sugar and whip until stiff peaks form.
- Spread frosting evenly over cooled cookie.
- Decorate with blueberries for the stars and sliced strawberries for the stripes. Do not add fruit until 3-4 hours before serving.